Why defund the police?
- How I Became A Police Abolitionist – Derecka Purnell, the Atlantic
- Why “Crime” Isn’t the Question and Police Aren’t the Answer – Alec Karakatsanis, Current Affairs
- Police Reform is Not Enough – Mychal Denzel Smith, the Atlantic
- Police “Reforms” You Should Always Oppose – Mariame Kaba
- Why Social Workers Cannot Work With The Police – Lori James-Townes, Slate
- The answer to police violence is not ‘reform’. It’s defunding. Here’s why. – Alex S. Vitale, the Guardian
- No More Money for the Police – Philip V. McHarris and Thenjiwe McHarris, Time Magazine
What comes next?
- Six Ideas for a Police Free World – José Martín, Rolling Stone
- For Mental Health 911 Calls, Dallas Found Success In Social Workers – Trace Miller, DMagazine
- These posters can help you picture alternatives to policing – Kristin Toussaint, Fast Company
- Colorado Passes Landmark Law Against Qualified Immunity, Creates New Way To Protect Civil Rights – Nick Sibilla, Forbes
- A New World Is Possible: Defund Police And Fund Black Lives – Kayla Reed and Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson, Essence
Why should we care here, in Redding, CA?
- Lawsuit: Redding police beat, suffocated mentally ill Chico man – Cynthia Hubert, the Sacramento Bee
- Speak your piece: Redding Police officer ignored my plea for help – Amanda Alamo, Record Searchlight
- A Short History Of Fatal Encounters With Shasta County Law Enforcement – R.V. Scheide, A News Cafe
- Redding Police Department Scorecard: F – Campaign Zero, as analyzed with Open Justice
- Did Mo’s Life Matter? – R.V. Scheide, A News Cafe
- Police continue ousting Redding’s homeless. Where do the city’s down-and-out go? – Michele Chandler, Record Searchlight
- BLM Protesters, Local Militia, Police and a ‘Happy Ending’ in Redding – Annelise Pierce, A News Cafe
- The vast majority of crime in Redding is nonviolent – City of Redding Crime Statistics